Main image

Afshar caravanserai

Monument date
XVIII-XIX c.
Placement
Previous toponym

Iravan until 1828, Erevan from 1828 to 1936.

Placement
Current toponym

Yerevan since 1936.

Classification

Architec­ture

Current situation

As a result of the collapse of the building on the right side of the caravan­se­rai, the Afshar caravan­se­rai was also da­ma­ged, it was blown up by the Armenians, and a new building was built in its place.

Information

There were shops with high doors around the two-story Afshar caravanserai, which belonged to the Azerbaijanis of Iravan, was built in the Eastern architectural style and had a tall entrance door. The lower floor of the caravanserai is made of hewn ashlar and marble, and the upper floor is made of baked bricks. The upper part of the windows of the caravanserai with a balcony on the upper floor had oval iron bars.

Only Azerbaija­nis lived in the area where the Afshar caravan­serai is located. The caravan­se­rai was a place for merchants, tra­velers and ot­her wayfarers to spend the night.

Photos