Main image

Bel Dashi tombstone monuments

Monument date
IV-V c.
Placement
Previous toponym

Zangazur ma­hal, Gafan Dist­rict, in Yukhari Giratagh village.

Placement
Current toponym

Yukhari Gire­tagh village - since 1991 - has been called Ve­rin Giratag

Classification

Architec­ture

Current situation

The Bel Dashi chest stone was appropriated by Armenians and is shown as an Armenian monument

Information

A stone monument on the grave, which locals call Bel Dashi, in the cemetery located in the east of the village, indicates that people have lived here since ancient times. Carved on the chest of Bel Dashi, images of horsemen hun­ting wild animals with arrows, shields, bulls and spears, and the absence of any inscriptions on the background of these images indicate that the stone monument belongs to the pre-literate period231. In 1886, 537 Azerbaijanis lived in Giretagh village, in 1897 - 328, in 1926 - 225, in 1939 - 359, in 1959 - 310, in 1979 - 120.