Main image

Boyuk mosque

Monument date
981 by Hijri date
Placement
Previous toponym

It is located in Hachaparag (Zahmat) villa­ge, on the right bank of the Zan­gi River, 8 km north-west of the district center Ulu­khan­­li settle­ment, 6 km from the ci­ty of Iravan, in Zan­gibasar ma­hal.

Placement
Current toponym

On 03.01.1935, the name of the village was chan­­ged to Zahmat, and from 19.04.1991, it was named Khachpar

Classification

Architec­ture

Current situation

A month after the beginning of the Great Pat­riotic War, the mosque was al­lowed to ope­rate. The mos­que, which was open until the deportation of 1988, was later destroyed and rendered unu­sable

Information

The walls of the porch of the Boyuk mosque were decorated with Quranic surahs, and the date of Hijri 981 was written in the inscription on the head of the pulpit. During the first years of the Soviet rule, the activity of the mosque was stopped. A month after the be­gin­ning of the Great Patriotic War, the mos­que was allowed to open again. One of the facts showing the antiquity of the vil­lage was the head and chest stones in the cemetery, ram, horse and bull sculptures on the graves. On the chest of the sculp­tures of horse, ram and bull the name of the buried person, his father’s name, the years of death and tribe’s name were indicated.