Main image

Haji Abbas mosque

Monument date
Circa 1840
Placement
Previous toponym

It is located in the Mehman­dar (Shorlu Meh­mandar) village on the right bank of the Zangi Ri­ver, 11 km northeast of Ulukhanli settle­ment, the center of Zangibasar district, Zangibasar mahal.

Placement
Current toponym

On 3.01.1935, Shorlu Meh­man­dar villa­ge’s name was changed to and it was called Mehmandar. On 25.01.1978, it was changed to the name of Hovtashat.

Classification

Architec­ture

Current situation

It was burned during the 1919 deportation. It was repaired by the population who returned to the village du­ring the Soviet rule. Since it was not allowed to function as a mosque until the deportation of 1988, it was used in different ways. It was destroyed after the 1988 depor­tation.

Information

The Haji Abbas Agha Mosque was built by Haji Abbas Agha in 1840 and the mosque was named after the man who built it. The mosque was built by craftsmen brought from Turkey and Iran, and became a place of worship and pilgrimage for all Muslims of the Zan­gibasar and Uchkilsa regions. In 1915-1918, the villagers, who were attacked by the Armenians, took refuge in the mos­que, and armed people guarded them, standing guard near the mosque.